HORMONES: THE MISSING LINK TO Healthy Skin
Diet, stress, sleep loss and sun damage are several obvious factors that influence how the skin looks. Far less obvious – and often overlooked – is the hormonal connection that is vital to youthful skin.
Hormones & Your Skin
What’s the Connection?
Most people know that skin cells are targets of hormonal activity, but not as many know that they are also hormone producers. In fact, skin cells are the main site for estrogen activation and DHEA conversion to testosterone.
How Hormone Imbalance Impacts Skin
From typical teen acne to aggravating adult breakouts, excess facial hair, eczema, rashes, wrinkles and crow’s feet, a great skin may be impossible when hormone imbalances are at work behind the scenes.
Diets high in sugars and refined carbs stimulate overproduction of the androgens (testosterone and DHEA), triggering acne and oily skin, and also potentially excess facial or body hair. High cortisol stress hormones also disrupt with skin rashes and breakouts.
Also Hormone Lows affects Healthy Skin
Stress, smoking, junk food and lack of sleep can accelerate hormone losses, making us look old before our time.
Witch such high concentration of hormone receptors in the skin – especially on the face-it’s no wonder that signs of premature aging are more obvious there.
Wrinkles & Sleep Loss go Hand-in-hand
A recent study of women aged 30-49 found that those who slept 5 hours or less per night had more fine lines, uneven pigmentation and sagging skin than those who slept 7-9 hours per night.
Teeming with hormone receptor sites from head to toe, the skin is the first place hormone imbalances show up.
With such a high concentration of hormone receptors in the skin – especially in the face – it’s no wonder that signs of premature aging are more obvious there.
Do the following symptoms sound familiar?
- Increased wrinkles
- Decreased skin elasticity
- Acne/oily skin
- Melasma (dark patches)
- Hirsutism (excessive hair)
- Male pattern baldness
- Puffy eyes/face; dry, thinning skin/hair/eyebrows; brittle nails
- Skin rashes/eczema
- Sleep deprivation
If two or more of these symptoms persist, testing can identify whether it’s a hormone imbalance.
Healthy Skin is diminished by imbalances of:
- Estrogens (estradiol and estriol)
- Vitamin D
Want to look as young as you feel an have a Healthy Skin?
Follow these tips for optimal nutrition and lifestyle balance:
- EAT organic, whole foods, fruits and vegetables and also do not forget the hormone–free meat
- DRINK 64 oz. of water daily, and also limit caffeine and alcohol
- EXERCISE to lower skin-aging stress hormones
- SLEEP at least 7 hours a night to banish bags and under-eye circles
- TAKE a daily multivitamin with adequate A, B, C, D, E vitamins and also zinc
- AVOID UV rays, damaging skin care products, and synthetic hormones
- TEST your hormones and REBALANCE for better skin
If you’ve already been:
- Trying multiple anti-aging creams
- Acne Medication
- Eating a healthy diet
- Drinking purified water
- Exercising daily
- Cleansing skin routinely
- Recently had a detox facial
- And STILL cannot get the glowing radiant skin you should have
Have you considered testing your hormones?
Skin Vitality Profile tests hormone imbalances linked to unexplained skin conditions, premature aging and wrinkling.
Call us today at 042855546 or make an appointment online for evaluation and skin vitality testing.